Nikolaos Koumartzis is a PhD researcher at the Dept. of Journalism and Mass Media Communication in Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (Greece), he is currently conducting research on the emerging phenomenon of Internet regulation and online censorship around the globe, and last he is the moderator of the International project WebObserver.net.
Regarding the field of parapsychology, he is the author of the only modern book regarding Psychical Research movement in Greece (book title: Psychical Research in Greece, Dion Publications, 2010), along with a book regarding the current state of parapsychology research and psychic phenomena worldwide (book title: White Book of Parapsychology, iWrite Publications, 2011). Moreover, he is responsible for a monthly magazine column on this subject from 2006 and onwards (currently hosted at a monthly magazine called mystery).
What’s more, along with Renaud Evrard, he co-founded the World of Parapsychology project, a digital interactive map of parapsychology labs, university departments and research groups around the globe. The project is available at www.thewop.org.
Last, in 2010 he received the Coly Prize by Parapsychology Foundation, in 2011 he was awarded with the Scholarship for Excellence by Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (for his research on the phenomenon of Internet regulation) and with the Eileen J. Garrett Scholarship Award by Parapsychology Foundation. Last, for 2012, he was chosen for the position of the Graphic Designer of the Parapsychological Association, focusing (for start) on the re-design of the PA's bulletin MindField.
He lives and studies in Thessaloniki (Greece), where he works as an Art Director at the start-up publishing house iWrite/ iScribo Publications (www.iScribo.net) that he co-founded in 2010.
Selected publications related to the parapsychology field
- Evrard, R., & Koumartzis, N. (2010). Toward a cross-cultural view of parapsychology.Paranthropology, 1(2), 29-30.
- Koumartzis, N., & Evrard, R. (2010). "World of Parapsychology": visit, participate, make it grow.Paranormal Review, n°56, 17-20.
- Koumartzis, N. (2010). theWoP.org: Visit, Participate, Make it Grow (short presentation),53rd Parapsychological Association Convention, Paris, July 2010. Accesible atwww.youtube.com/watch?v=x5oVKqcmmQo.
- Koumartzis, N. (2012). Dr. A. Tanagras & Psychical Research in Greece (short documentary),MetaCON 2012 Conference of the Hellenic Society of Metaphysics, Athens, January 2012. Accesible atwww.metacon.gr.
- Koumartzis, N. (2010). Psychical Research in Greece, Dion Publications, 2010.
- Koumartzis, N. (2011). The White Bible of Parapsychology, iWrite Publications, 2011.
- Koumartzis, N. (2006 - until today). Parapsychology and psychic phenomena. A column at the monthly magazine mystery that presents the scientific approach (researches, scientists etc. in the field) of the psychic phenomena.
Selected publications about Internet Regulation (PhD research)
- Nikolaos Koumartzis, Andreas Veglis (2011) On the Pursue for a Fair Internet Regulation system, 3. http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?arnumber=05983937
- Nikolaos Koumartzis, Andreas Veglis (2011) The Future of Internet Regulation: Current Trends, a Dangerous Precedent and the Role of Internet Users, 2. In The Future of Internet Regulation: Current Trends, a Dangerous Precedent and the Role of Internet Users. http://www.inf.uth.gr/euronf-tccfi/images/stories/euro-nf_tccfi_papers.pdf
- Nikolaos Koumartzis, Andreas Veglis (2012) Internet Regulation, A New Approach: Outline of a system formed to be controlled by the Internet Users (accepted for publication), 8. In Computer Technology and Application 3 (1). http://www.davidpublishing.org/journals_info.asp?jId=610
- Nikolaos Koumartzis, Andreas Veglis (2011) The Future of Internet Regulation:The Need for More Transparent Internet Filtering Systems and the Role of Great Scale Surveys, 8. In First Monday Journal 16 (10). http://www.firstmonday.org/htbin/cgiwrap/bin/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/3266/3071
- Nikolaos Koumartzis (2008) BT’s CleanFeed and online censorship in UK: improvements for a more secure and ethically correct system, 134. http://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pG2w_YJwy9qUD6qExYJPwXdEYPS85CBLqbWDxHF4qqmaz2GWBiqO8GWzZH8NdPTBd-CnotlNa77SACHKkdTkajw/cleanfeed_edition1.pdf.zip